Mount Vernon Nazarene University
From its founding, Mount Vernon Nazarene University has enjoyed a special relationship with the community of Mount Vernon, Ohio. In 1966, the city of Mount Vernon offered a generous gift of 209 acres on the Lakeholm Farm which commenced the development of an extraordinarily beautiful college campus. Since that time, the relationship between MVNU and the community has matured and progressed as we have worked together enhancing the life, living, and learning in Mount Vernon and Knox County. With the opening of Buchwald Center in 2009, and Hunter Hall in 2011, the partnership has been enriched further.
In October of 2010, a tragic fire consumed what was once the "S.S. Kresge" retail building located at 205 S. Main Street. This facility was adjacent to MVNU's Buchwald Center, which sustained millions of dollars of damage itself as a result of this tragedy. Since then, the University has acquired the empty "S.S. Kresge" lot and has plans to re-create a beautifully landscaped multiuse space to enhance the downtown's aesthetics and as a multi-purpose site for a variety of community events.
As plans were underway for Hunter Hall, it was determined our students and community would benefit by establishing a coffeehouse. In an attempt to honor the city's heritage, especially that which was lost in the fire, MVNU scoured the county's historical records in an effort to identify a coffeehouse name that might serve as a vital link from our city's rich past to an increasingly bright future. According to records at the Knox County Historical Society, the lot on the southwest corner of Main Street and Gambier Street was first purchased in 1884 by the Baker brothers. In 1906, G.R. Baker and Son worked together, and in 1912 Bakers Drugstore was located on the corner. It is the University's intention to honor the Baker brothers and all community merchants through the naming recognition of Baker Bros.